How to Apply for Canadian Pardons

If you have been arrested for criminal behavior or been accused of a criminal act in Canada it can be very difficult to find employment, even if you were not convicted of the crime. Employers in Canada run a special background check on every applicant for employment; therefore accessing your criminal record is simple. Even if you are the most qualified for the position, in most cases you will not receive the job due to being accused of a crime with no conviction.

Canadian Pardons

In order to apply for a Canadian pardon, the application must be sent to the National Parole Board which is an independent administrative tribunal. This board is in charge of the Criminal Code of Canada and the Criminal Records Act. The board is the only entity responsible for granting or refusing applications for pardons. All applications must be processed through the Clemency and Pardons Division of the National Parole Board. The application will go through different legal processes prior to acceptance or denial. In most cases, it is best that you have a professional to help you through the application and the legal process if you do not understand the laws in Canada as well as the procedures.

The most important thing is that the application be completed accurately. An application that is incomplete or not filled out correctly will certainly be denied.

The Canadian application will need your signature and date in the properly location. Include the first RCMP ID certificate with your pardon application. You will need to submit an validated pardon court information paper for every conviction if any for the past five years. Check the procedure of the court and check to ensure the dates are accurate on all criminal papers. All documents that you are submitting must be certified by the court clerk. Include a local police records from the police department in charge of where you live. All local police checks must be current as ones dated six months or older are not valid. You will also need to submit a character reference letter from the police authority in the foreign country if you have lived out of the country in the past five years and like the local police checks, the letter has to be dated within the last six months in order to be valid.  If you were in the Canadian Armed Forces, a good military conduct letter from your commanding officer should be included. Also include a quality photocopy of your Canadian citizenship card or your passport. For Canadian citizens you will need to show proof of your status.

Once the application is received, the board will begin the legal process for your Canadian pardon.